Learn How to Develop a Website or Hire a Web Developer
Develop a Website
Rutgers offers website development training for individuals with different levels of knowledge, from the novice with little or no website development training to experienced IT professionals.
If your position at Rutgers includes regular communications projects, you should strongly consider signing up for the university’s& Communicator Certificate Program. Several courses in the program cover aspects of web writing, design, and effectiveness. View courses listed under Workplace Communications, and enroll now.
Communicator Certificate: Web-Related Courses
- “Communicating with Video”
- “Communication Guidelines and Policies”
- “Defining and Serving Today’s Audiences”
- “Design Basics”
- “Developing a Communications Plan”
- “Electronic Communications”
- “Making Data-driven Decisions with Google Analytics”
- “Photography Basics”
- “Proofreading and Editing Using the Rutgers Editorial Style Guide”
- “Social Media Training”
- “Understanding the Rutgers University Identity”
- “Writing and Design for the Web”
OFFICE OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Courses, resources, tips, and more are provided by the Office of Information Technology.
CENTER FOR TEACHING ADVANCEMENT AND ASSESSMENT RESEARCH
Workshops on Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and other web-related topics are offered by the Center for Teaching Advancement and Assessment Research.
- Faculty Teaching Support Workshops
- Faculty and Staff Computer Workshops
- TA Teaching with Technology Workshops
UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCES PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOPS
University Human Resources offers periodic professional development workshops that can get you started with your web project.
JOIN A LISTSERV
Rutgers has a number of listservs set up to provide information about universitywide web initiatives as well as facilitate collaboration among web developers.
- Web_managers provides tips and tutorials for novice web developers such as administrators and other personnel assigned to manage unit/department websites.
- Web_announce offers periodic updates to decision makers and information providers involved in creating the Rutgers web presence.
- Web_developers provides information of value to designers and programmers about the university’s presence.
- Drupal_admins provides tips and tricks for Drupal site administrators and developers at the university.
Hire a Web Developer
If you do not have the time or are not comfortable with updating your website yourself, there are a variety of sources you can turn to for help.
HIRE A DEVELOPER FROM THE OFFICE OF INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY (oit)
With its nonprofit, in-house auxiliary programming and database services, the Office of Information Technology (OIT) can work with you on various aspects of building and updating your website. Contact Tuyhang Ly for additional information. OIT's services include:
- Web design
- Web development/database design
- Web hosting
HIRE A STUDENT
A part-time student worker may be ideal for your website needs. The Student Employment Office can help you find a student worker. You may also want to reach out to the Department of Computer Science or OIT departments at your location for leads on a reliable student to hire.
HIRE OUTSIDE HELP THROUGH UNIVERSITY PROCUREMENT SERVICES
University Procurement Services can help you identify qualified vendors who can provide the services you need and guide you through the process of purchasing professional services.
For a consultation on purchasing professional services, contact:
University Procurement Services
33 Knightsbridge Road, First Floor East
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
Piscataway, NJ 08854