Senior Citizen Audit Program
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey provides senior citizens with opportunities in higher education.
The Senior Citizen Audit Program was created by the Rutgers University Board of Governors to permit retired New Jersey residents, age 62 or older, to attend courses on a space-available, noncredit basis. There are no tuition costs for auditing courses.
New Jersey citizens who are younger than age 62, but at least 50 years of age, are eligible to participate in the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Rutgers. Go to olliru.rutgers.edu for more information about this program.
Choosing a Course
- Only courses offered during the spring and fall semesters at Rutgers University–Camden, Rutgers University–New Brunswick, or Rutgers University–Newark are open to auditors. No other courses offered at the university are available under the Senior Citizen Audit Program, including courses offered during other terms.
- Courses listed as closed in the online Schedule of Classes—those that have reached maximum capacity—are not open to auditors.
- Online courses are not included under our program.
- Auditing is a courtesy offered at the discretion of the professor. If the professor informs you that auditors are not permitted, please select another course.
- Auditors must wait until the first day of class to have a professor approve and sign the Permission to Audit form for the appropriate semester.
- Auditors are passive participants. Please wait for the professor's invitation to participate. Registered, matriculated students are always given priority for the professor's time.
- Your name will not appear on the professor's roster. Your status is that of a nonregistered auditor.
If you would like to receive the Senior Citizen Audit Program registration information and audit forms by mail, or if you have questions about the program, please contact Kay Schechter in the Office of Community Affairs at 848-932-0599, or via email. Please provide your name, birthdate, mailing address, phone number, and email address.