Information for Vendors and Manufacturers

All advertising specialty companies and vendors/manufacturers of products bearing the trademarks of Rutgers must enter into a nonexclusive trademark licensing agreement with the university.

All vendors and manufacturers—including advertising specialty companies—of products bearing the trademarks of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, must enter into a nonexclusive trademark license agreement with the university’s licensing agent, The Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC). Once the licensing process has been completed, CLC will supply the licensee with electronic files of university and intercollegiate athletics trademarks.

All products that are branded with a Rutgers trademark require licensing. This includes items sold at retail and items distributed by academic and administrative departments, student organizations, and other internal units. Rutgers’ trademarks may not be used with any prohibited items or designs.

Licensing Options

There are three options in pursuing a license with Rutgers University and The Collegiate Licensing Company. They are:

  • Standard License: The Standard License is intended for companies that are capable of extensive production and retail distribution of their product(s) and/or are introducing a unique and commercially viable product to the collegiate market.
  • Local License: The Local License is for companies that desire to obtain a license with the university and are located in Rutgers’ immediate in-state marketplace.
  • Restricted License: The Restricted License is for companies that wish to produce items purchased by Rutgers for internal use only. A Restricted Licensee is not permitted to sell product(s) to retailers, direct to consumers, to nonexempt school departments, or to any entity unrelated to the university.

Become Licensed

To become licensed, vendors and manufacturers—including advertising specialty companies—should contact The Collegiate Licensing Company, 770-956-0520. On the CLC website, you can find the Application Timeline PDF and apply for a license.

Rutgers is a member of the Worker Rights Consortium (WRC) and the Fair Labor Association (FLA). Licensees are expected to join the Fair Labor Association. Feel free to contact the Office of Trademark Licensing via email with questions.


If you need assistance, contact the Office of Trademark Licensing.
Elyse Carlson, Trademark Licensing Coordinator
Phone: 848-445-1951
Fax: 732-445-5925