Guide to Buying Rutgers Products
Looking to buy Rutgers T-shirts for your club? How about pens or paperweights as a departmental giveaway? Our step-by-step guide to buying Rutgers products will help you to select the right item for your fundraiser, giveaway, or promotion.
STEP 1: CONTACT TRADEMARK LICENSING
Make your first stop the Office of Trademark Licensing. Email or phone Elyse Carlson (848-445-1951), who will be happy to answer your questions about tchotckes, promo items, giveaways, and Rutgers logotypes, marks, and seals. The office also can brainstorm ideas with you; guide you to licensed vendors who manufacture the items you want; and assist in the design of images and graphics for your T-shirt or promotional item.
STEP 2: SELECT PRODUCT
STEP 3: RESEARCH PRICING
Pricing is highly dependent on quantity; depending on the item, you may pay far less per item when buying 1,000, say, rather than 250. Take these steps to ensure you get the best price:
- Call at least three different licensed vendors to ask for pricing.
- Be sure to ask about shipping charges, set-up fees, rush charges, low-minimum fees, and charges for additional imprint colors. (An item’s price typically includes printing with one color, with each additional color incurring an extra fee.)
- Keep in mind the variables affecting a product’s price. With apparel, for instance, the cost of embroidering is calculated by stitch count, not by the number of colors, and black T-shirts cost more, as do XXL shirts.
- Prices from licensed vendors are frequently lower than those listed in a catalog or website; be sure to call to confirm pricing.
STEP 4: CHOOSE VENDOR
Always use a licensed vendor who is authorized to sell products with the Rutgers name. You should be comfortable not only with the company’s pricing, but also with the level of customer service and ability to deliver the product on time.
STEP 5: ASK FOR A SAMPLE
Be sure to ask for a sample of the product you intend to buy—you want to make sure you get what you’re expecting; vendors will typically provide a sample upon request. It is especially important to request samples of T-shirts and golf shirts because of the number of variables affecting the price, such as whether a shirt is 100 percent cotton or 50 percent cotton/50 percent polyester.
STEP 6: SELECT DESIGN
You will have a variety of options for the design of your product. Our licensed vendors are experienced at working with members of the University of New Jersey community; they will assist you in obtaining the desired logos and securing the necessary approvals for your design. They will also provide design assistance for a fee. The Office of Trademark Licensing is also available to assist with designs and to answer questions about the use of Rutgers’ name and logos. Please contact us via email.
STEP 7: PLACE ORDER
Before you place an order, make sure you have done the following:
- Chosen a licensed vendor
- Researched pricing
- Asked about shipping charges, set-up fees, and any additional charges
- Reviewed samples and approved artwork
- Made sure the item is not on the list of prohibited products or designs