Guidelines for Photo Subjects
Whether you are managing a photo shoot or plan to participate in one, follow these guidelines to make sure your subjects or you look great on camera.
- If asked to bring two sets of clothing, wear one and bring the other on a hanger with all the accessories (shoes, ties, belts, handbags, etc.)
- Bring a brush or comb, mirror, makeup, hair gel, razor, etc., for on-the-spot touch ups. Don't forget tissues, cotton balls, or blotter paper to control facial shine.
- Do not wear all black or all white unless asked to do so.
- Ensure all clothing is clean and nicely pressed.
- Always arrive dressed and ready to go.
- Be creative! Feel free to bring props to complete your character (i.e., backpack, books, cell phone, mp3 player, briefcase, sports equipment).
- Get plenty of sleep the night before, so you can be fresh and upbeat, so you will look your best.
- If you can’t make it to the shoot, please call your instructor or the photographer and let them know.
- Women: Please do your hair and make-up at home before you arrive. Wear clothes that are not low-cut or too tight, or skirts that are not too short.
- Men: Please shave and do your hair at home before you arrive. Wear clothing that gives you a well-groomed appearance and that is not too tight.
- Show up at the designated place on time. Be sure to let the photographer know if you need to leave early.
- Be sure you have signed a model release form. This says you are giving the university permission to use your image.
- Most importantly, come ready to have some FUN!!!
Apparel Do’s & Don’ts
What to Wear:
- Bring a sweater or jacket, in case a change in appearance is needed.
- Long or short sleeve shirts, depending on the season (no white or black unless asked for)
- “Polo” or pull over type shirts
- Sweatshirts (preferably without logos unless requested)
- Casual slacks (e.g., Dockers)
- Khaki colored shirts or slacks
- Business attire (if requested)
What Not to Wear:
- Baseball caps or hats (unless asked for and to avoid "hat head")
- Designer labels (displayed)
- Clothing that reveals large tattoos
- Large, distracting jewelry
- Loose, baggy clothing
- Wrinkled or rumpled clothing
- Sloppy or dirty jeans
- Tops and/or hip huggers that reveal the navel and/or bare midriff
- T-shirts with commercial/corporate logos, pictures, slogans, or other writing
- All black or all white (unless asked for)